Makes about 2.5l of rich dark onion soup. By using green Oxo instead of beef stock it is vegetarian. The soup takes a good 2 hours working time plus hour to simmer.
Scale down as needed.
- 100g butter
- 50ml oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5kg onions, prepared weight
- 2l vegetable stock ie 12 green oxo cubes in 2l water
- 500ml red wine
- Melt 100g butter in a 5l pan along with 50ml oil
- Add 1.5kg thinly sliced onion (weight after peeling and slicing)
- Add three or four crushed garlic cloves
- Caramelize over medium heat: this doesn’t really need any attention for the first 30-40 mins with lid on. Then you need remove lid and start stirring to stop it catching on the bottom. Use a wooden or plastic spoon so you can keep the bottom of the pan clear. Allow an hour and a half.
- When it is nut brown and about to burn (looks awful but don’t worry) de-glaze the pan with 500ml of red wine.
- Add 2l of vegetable stock (2l water and 12 green oxo cubes)
- Simmer for an hour and allow to cool.
The soup freezes well in portion-size amounts.
Grill cheese on croutons and serve.